Sunday, February 17, 2008

Selfishness

So I've been thinking.

I felt selfish for so long, but...
Don't we have the right to be.
Even if it's just every once in a while.

Like on my birthday... Aren't I entitled to desire that I be surrounded by all the people that I love most?
Isn't that my right?
I don't care if they get me something. I just want them there.
I just want them to all sign a card or a note... like a yearbook.
All the stupid things we've done in the past year.
How they think we'll grow up in the coming year.
What they hope I'll accomplish.

I WANT that!!! Is it not my right to be selfish and desire that for myself?

Or when they overwork me at work, and I want a day off.
Is it not my right to get upset and frustrated when they continually walk all over me and ask me to cover other people's shifts while I get nothing, and the person I'm covering for gets a day off.
Don't I deserve that day off every once in a while?
I DO!!!

Or when someone, anyone, walks on you simply because you're nice.
Don't we at some point have the right to stand up and say "NO!"?
Are we not allowed to think of ourselves?
I AM SELFISH!!!
But not in an evil sense of the word.
I am a very caring and giving person...
But I will only let so much be taken from me.
If it is a healthy relationship.
If we are both giving and receiving, whether we realize it or not. It is healthy. It is worth keeping.
But if someone is simply hanging onto me because I am kind and giving, they are a leech.
I do not give, and expect to receive. But I do give and expect that what I give will be well appreciated.
If you don't appreciate what I give you, you just take it because I'm offering.
Then you are SELFISH in all the evilness of the word.
But I am not.
I AM selfish.
But I am nothing like you leeches... you parasites.
You simply bleed the life out of those of us that have hearts until we feel no more... and then we become like you... because we no longer care...
Well, I'm standing up, and I'm stopping it here!
I DO CARE!!!

And so here it is!
I'm taking it.
All these dreams, they were my dreams.
And all these wishes were my wishes.
I'm taking them back!
I'm taking them all back!

Currently listening :
Something to Be
By Rob Thomas
Release date: April 19, 2005

No comments: