Friday, February 3, 2006

Here are the pieces... But can I fit them together?

Blog from when I was using MySpace. Current mood:  cheerful Category: Writing and Poetry

Well, I've been working on a poem lately, and you get to see the inside details on all of it... (basically because I need some help with it).

Anyway, here are all the notes and rewritings and such (a LOT of repetition here).

It all started with this short poem I wrote recently when I was feeling inspired. A phone call and realizing that I missed lunch, but still paid for it kind of killed my inspiration (I had been really hungry). Anyway, this turned out NOTHING like what I had wanted to write that day. I was very disappointed with it (perfectionist). Before I started working on this poem I went through all my old journals and made a list of the lines I liked, but had never done anything with. That list is as follows:

* We're not out of this yet

* Autumn

* Turn on the light / night

* I've been burried in a dessert

I'm still aching for tears

* I don't know how you got here

But please don't ever leave

* The dream is dead

* "The readiness is all" ~Hamlet

* "That's where I'll be waiting" ~Tinkerbell (from the movie Hook)

* How do you keep face

So far away?

* "Nobody gets out of here alive" ~Dr. Dunkle (my HUM 2233 Prof.)

* Toes that whispered across the void

* Less than, Greater than <> (to explain this, on a grave stone their are two years and a dash to represent all the ones in between. Life is <->.... greater than one point, and less than another. So basically all we have is this moment. Our lives are made up of this - little dash. It also means less than something greater.)

* Where I come from

This is clear intent to murder

* If body sweat were gasoline

* My heart looks whole with spider legs

But every breath I take it breaks

* Digging trenches, raising walls

* Silence is a language long forgotten

* Stop chasing rabbits (basically stop fretting about little things)

* Moon, smile upon me (I have many such lines, and this was just a reminder to think of all of them)

* These moments are temporary

* Of all the things when you're cold

* Deliver us from evil

* Lest we forget

We are dust

Sorry I can't explain where all of those come from, but that would take forever, and this is already going to take a lot of your time. Here's the short poem that I wrote next.

01/27/06 (15:34) No one... I don't know where you've come from But please, don't you ever leave I'm lost inside this desert And I've long been starved of tears Water not for my tongue I desire a cleansing of my cheeks And if the silence is to come Guide it here for I remember the language well Digging trenches, raising walls "The readiness is all" We're not out of this yet Nay! No one gets out of here alive It's all! It's all! This is our autumn Once it be winter 'twill stop our hearts "The readiness is all"

A couple days later, it was the middle of the night, and something hit me. I felt like writing again, and like using an old poem to help me.

This is a poem I wrote last year, but I wanted to use some ideas from it. It's actually parts of this that are messing me up in completing the final version. I can't seem to reword them properly.

02/17/2005 - 02/18/2005

Victoria Rose

Black silk petals

Blood stained thorns

Every new day offers many gifts

So untie the ribbons

Open up to life

Your eyes bleed in the color

Let rest our guards

Open our hearts to share

This gift that has been given us

Victory rose

From the ashes of defeat

I saw the payment

But forgot the memory

Let the assault of a deadly assassin

Help my unbelief

Remember we are dust

Drifting in the wind

Smoke from razing death

Child rise and live again

Look close and listen

For this is me

Biting my tongue until Im bleeding

And Im drowning from the liquid

Building up inside my lungs

Time stands still for raising tides

Water hits, Ill close my eyes

Life will pause as past things die

Sleep will pass as life will rise

I think that now Ive found its time

To break myself of this

My most self-destructing habit

Of holding back my words

Until they cut so deeply into me

That Im left barely breathing

And Im running out of blood for bleeding

Open your eyes

Start growing up inside

Maturitys your lie

Oh, so much like mine

I cant handle this

My veins are running dry

My pen ceases to write

But this place gives me new life

Silk rose petal ribbon

Tying back your hair

Let it down

Lets not disguise

Our mistakes with goodbyes

But instead open our hearts

And let down our guards

Not so open

That the wolves catch our scent

But just enough

To let ourselves in

Walking together

On a cold dark night

Silence all around

But then static in my ears

The sound of rushing water

Oh, so much more than our tears

A spark in the night

The tunnels end is near

Ill hold you tight

Ill keep you warm

Well make it out together

Dont fight your heart

Well hold you tight

Were coming out alive

Alive and together we are one

And now, on to what I wrote Saturday / Sunday night / morning. This is Draft 1. 01/28-29/06 (22:40-05:51) Black silk petals Blood stained thorns I don't know where you've come from But please come from there no more I'm lost inside this desert Where I've long been starved of tears Not for physical satisfaction For I desire the cleansing of my cheeks And if the silence is to come Guide it to me with invitation I remember the language well And have spoke too little as of late Every new day offers many gifts So untie the ribbons and open up to life Let rest our guards Open our hearts to share The gift that has been given us Not so open that the wolves catch our scent But just enough to let ourselves in Victory rose From the ashes of defeat We'd all be dead by now If body sweat were gasoline But doubtful toes whispered And I accepted "less than greater than" "The readiness is all" No one gets out of here alive This is our autumn It's all! It's all! This is our fall When winter does come upon us Our hearts will beat no more Nay! We're just not out of this yet! Look close and listen For this decay is me Biting my tongue until I'm bleeding And I'm drowning in the liquid Building up inside my lungs Time stands still at rising tides Water hits, I'll close my eyes Life will pause as past things die Sleep will pass as light will rise I think that now I've found it's time To break myself of this My most self-destructing habit Of holding back my words Until they cut so deeply into me That I'm left barely breathing And I'm running out of blood for bleeding And of all the things when you're cold Stealing my breath has always been the kindest I changed quite a bit of that for the second draft. Too much of it came from the "Untitled (Victoria Rose)" poem. But my original idea was just to rewrite that poem with new thoughts, so that's why there was so much of it there. So here's Draft 2... which is in short... a reorganization of Draft 1 with added / changed lines here and there. It's not too much different, but I was very excited about it (but it was 6 in the morning... who wouldn't be overly tired and excited about something silly?). Every new day offers many gifts So untie the ribbons and open up to life Let rest our guards Open our hearts to share The gift that has been given us Not so wide That the wolves catch our scent But open enough To let ourselves in Victory rose From the ashes of defeat We'd all be dead by now If body sweat were gasoline Digging trenches, raising walls "The readiness is all" No one gets out of here alive This is our autumn It's all! It's all! This is our fall When winter does come upon us Our hearts will beat no more Nay! We're just not out of this yet! The whispering of doubtful toes Convinced that less was greater than And I did put on a boot so childish As to appear to myself innocent But I've been drowning in the liquid Building up inside my lungs In the search to find a cure The world infected by flapping tongues So look close and listen For this decay is me Biting my tongue until I'm bleeding But of all the things when you're cold Stealing my breath has always been the kindest Time stands still for raising tides Water hits, I'll close my eyes Life will pause as past things die Sleep will pass as light will rise I think that now I've found it's time To break myself of this My most self-destructing habit Of holding back my words Until they cut so deeply into me That I'm left barely breathing And I'm running out of blood for bleeding Blood stained petals And black silk thorns I don't know where you've come from But please come from there no more I'm lost inside this desert Where I've long been starved of tears Not for physical satisfaction For I desire the cleansing of my cheeks And if the silence is to come Guide it to me with invitation I remember the language well And have spoke too little as of late By the time I was starting Draft 3, I had decided to cut out the first verse completely. I also added several things to my list of notes: * "Go away from me, Lord." ~Peter (Luke 5:8) * "Glad you came to my senses, cause I didn't" ~Blindside (I just think this is an awesome line. I didn't plan on trying to use it.) Well, here's what I have for Draft 3. Sorry it's incomplete. This is where I've hit my problem. Digging trenches, raising walls "The readiness is all" No one gets out of here alive This is our autumn It's all! It's all! This is our fall When winter does come Our hearts will beat no more (Nay! We're just not out of it yet) "If body sweat were gasoline" I heard toes whisper hopefully They stole away their carried voice (And I became) Convinced that less was greater than And I did put on a boot so childish As to appear to myself innocent (Oh God, go thou away from me I am the sinfullest of men) (Yeah, yeah, I know it's not a word!) ... And here's where I've run into a dead end. I need to figure out what message I am trying to get across with this poem, and then structure it to express my view. The last verse, that I know will not change (except for maybe a couple words), expresses the view that I want to speak the language of silence because I've spoken too little (of silence) recently. So basically it's saying that I've spoken too much and need to be quiet. This idea contradicts with the two verses I long to use. The verses about biting my tongue, and holding myself back from speaking. But if I include those, I will have a contradicting message. So I'm trying to figure out a way to combine them without butchering them. More to come. "Your Face Here" upon my heart with love (love - a feeling expressing that I will die for you if you have read this far) Matthew (Mahi) Shane
Currently listening : Hey, I'm a Ghost By Sullivan Release date: By 24 January, 2006

No comments: