Sunday, April 5, 2009

A Broken Mind Cracked Wide Open

An old poem I found while packing. It was written on sticky notes in 2004

Parchment floating in the wind
Basking in the somber resplendence of the moonlight
Hazy shadows cast down by a star's reflection
Could I hold it as hope in these dark times?
Can I be comforted by there dark rhymes?
The idea of love,
As scribbled on the floating pages
The shadows they cast on this moonlit, sandy night
The loneliness passed down through the ages
As a scar from the angels we were never meant to love
Now I set this free to glide among the others
The words I wrote to tell of love
Failing only when it hurts the most
At the very least,
I have to be high to fall hard
So maybe I should stop climbing
Before I break my heart
How battered and torn the shrivelled shards
Held together only by Your love
And each new time I take the dive
I give less back to You to piece together
Pouring out a nearly empty box at Your feet
I beg you sew and forge and keep
Mend the pieces of me
But when courage will fade in the deep cold dark
I know the bravest I can be is remembering hope
For in these dark times of dark rhymes and giant halls
We sing songs of hope to save us before we fall.


20090327 (23:42)
I want to write you a song
But all I have are these words
There's nothing I can do
Nothing I can say to you
That you haven't heard before
20090328 (02:09)
The empty pages seem so long
Filled with all the thoughts they don't tell
It's like a song in itself
Thinking it'd be best with no sound
And all I wanna hear is your voice
Singing soft
Singing loud
Won't you always make sound?
Even when you aren't around

The pages go slow
Maybe I should rip them out
Tossed away with all the thoughts they don't tell
Drifting slow 'til I hear the sound
All the words I could think
And still they all escape me
Ink runs low and it scribbles out
Singing soft
Singing loud
Singing as if without sound

It's a dance in the dark
No partner
Only steps to which time doesn't count
This is making something new

Defining words we've never heard
How to spell?
When it's all your own
I'll share it with you
Singing silently
Let the heartbeat guide your tune
Thump thump
Carrying you along


20090402 (13:58)
You're out of time
The cover's blown
The secret's out
We've severed our ties
Said goodbye
We pray to God it's man-made
We pray that it's destructable
But this is the end
And we're moving on
Both beginning and ending unknown
It's time for a change or two
And this is goodbye.


I have now moved on to a new green notebook writing in black ink instead of blue.

20090405 (13:06)
Matthew...
...is gathering thoughts
For keeping in or handing out
It's all about the same
When you only ever talk to yourself
So please, please, welcome
I know it's not much
But it's a new pen...
...in a new color...
...on a new page
And I've left a lot less unsaid
This is the beginning
This is the greet
It's all that I have
And I just hope that it isn't the end.


And a song I wanted to add last night, but didn't. It was too late.
Something Corporate, song Space

Home,
Is this the quiet place where you should be alone?
Is this where the tortured and the troubled find there own?
I don't know, but I can tell this isn't you, your cover's blown
Oh no, don't you dare hang up this phone

(chorus)
Hey, give me space so I can breathe
Give me space so I can sleep
Give me space so you can drown in this with me

In this place.
A lonely escapade in outer space,
There's no antidote for irony you say
That you have, when you know that you don't
And you say that you can, when you know that you won't

Chorus

These padded walls and TV screens
Sometimes they make me want to scream

Chorus

Hey, give me space but I can't breathe
Give me space but I can't sleep
Give me just one inch I swear that's all I'll need


Well... I hope this somehow helps.
I'm heading to the park to try to ride my bike even if it's raining, but the last time I was there the park was blocked off because it was flooded. Usually it's called Citizens' Lodge, but when it's flooded like this, I call it Citizens' Lake. The river runs right by the park but when it rains like this they just merge into one mass of water.

No comments: