Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Simple Thought of a Single Valentine

Matthew Shane WAS considering deleting his blog, but then he had a better idea.

I think I'm going to vent and complain about all these people griping and moaning about what they're calling "Single's Awareness Day."
First off, I'm not very fond of supporting mainstream holidays, but worse than someone using a holiday to make themselves a load of money off of the world's predictable "follow the trend" behavior, is someone who is going to take a holiday designed for giving and sharing, and turn it into a selfish pity party.

Now, I'm not generally fond of Valentine's Day for several reasons, but one day it may serve as a perfectly good excuse for me to go overboard in an attempt to show someone how much I love her. Now, sure, it's become entirely too mainstream. I'd bet that the original idea was to think up something romantic and surprise the one you love. The American way of thinking behind this holiday is making me sick in several ways. First, if one is participating in Valentine's Day, a male feels obligated to buy something and do something extra romantic and special, while alternately the female expects extra special treatment and gifts and is actually disappointed when they don't get the special treatment. Next, I'm disgusted by those people who are choosing to make this day all about themselves. This so-called Single's Awareness Day needs to come to and end right now! You want some light shed on why you are single and overly aware of it? You're selfish!!!

Can't we come up with anything better?

I, for one, plan on doing all I can to make people smile. I will hand out paper flowers made from straw wrappers to random people. I don't want to be absorbed by the fact that I'm single, and not particularly enjoying it. I want to absorb myself in an effort to brighten someone else's day. I will be glad that I'm saving money by not having to take a special someone out to dinner, or buy them an overpriced gift. I will be thankful that I'm not stressed out by the drama of not being able to please a girl.

All you selfish singles trying to guilt people into giving you attention should just lock yourselves up in a box. If you're not going to do something productive for society, please at least just leave it be. You don't need to further degrade our society.

Last night a woman brought the movie Superbad into Movie Gallery and said that someone had recommended it as a great movie that her kids would enjoy. I was shocked! The movie, although quite funny, is so vulgar and crude that you find it hard to laugh at all. The woman wanted to exchange it for something else, but we didn't know if we could. We only knew that we could exchange it for the same movie if it were damaged. Those are the rules. Well she just left it there. She didn't want it and said if she couldn't exchange it that we could just sell it again because she simply didn't want it. I didn't blame her. What made the whole thing worse... The woman who had come in right behind her waited until she left to say that it wasn't a bad movie and she let her kids watch it. I was appalled! I wanted to slap her.
And I want to slap all of you selfish singles. You know... With attitudes like that, you deserve to be single and you deserve to be miserable! Things could be so much worse for you.
We Americans are so selfish. It's despicable!


Oh, and by the way... I quit at Waffle House, and I'm back at Movie Gallery part time for the next month and a half. I'll be taking the month of April off because I'm planning on traveling around trying to visit people before I disappear for 17 or 18 months... A long time.
My plans are to visit people in south Florida for about a week, and friends in Jacksonville, and then come back home. I'd really like it if someone could come with me, but in these tight times, I know taking a couple weeks off is tough.
If anyone thinks they'll be able to join me, please let me know. I'd really like to have a travelling buddy.

Well, I've signed my contract, and I ship out for basic training on April 27. I'll be in basic for 8 weeks, and then tech training for... Who knows how long. I'll be in CA for, probably around a year, and then back to Texas for another 12 weeks. I probably won't be finished training until October of next year, and my recruiter isn't sure if I'll even be able to take a weekend off to come back for my sister's wedding... So...
That's that.

5 comments:

Rae said...

Your blogs are so interesting, I love reading them. I just have one little question. On your playlist, the song "Miserable" by Surprises..where did you make your playlist or do you know where I could find that song. I've Googled it, YouTubed it and I still can't find it. I'm in love with the song though, it's beautiful.

Again, great blogs! =)

ShatteredPain said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tory C. said...

Hey Matt-Shane :D I've missed and I know I've been a terrible friend about not texting back. FYI we're doing something on the 22nd, want to come?
But onto the topic of your post: I redily dissagree with your asumption that all of us celebrating 'Singles' Awareness Day' are griping about being single. I don't mind being single, because I know I'm worth a whole lot more than this town can offer, and those it can offer are leaving soon, for long stretches of time. So to me I celebrate Singles' Awareness Day to mock all those that think they can simply have by existing. The other celebrators of your post. Believe me, with those I want leaving, those remaining being pigs, and the rest of my friends having realtionships... I feel justified in being made aware of breing single. To quote an idle: 'Happy Valentine's day to the lovers an loveless, but give love to yourself, that's always the best'. Hence the box of chocolate I bought myself.
On another note, with girls and impressing them. I think they/we have developed such /absurd/ expantations because of the way most men are now'a'days. There are very few like you out there Matt, and I mean that. Half the guys I know are selfaborbred and /not/ single, same goes for the girls. So I ask myself, if they get to have their cake an eat it too, why must I, who is a bit nicer (at least I'd like to think so) only get to watch them eat their cake and have mine on a shelf seemingly impossibly out of my reach? So yes, being single on Valentine's Day makes you painfully aware of being single. Even if my singleness is self imposed because I'm old fasioned and refuse to ask a guy out or settle for the loosers that want to hook up. That's my take.
I'LL MISS YOU WHEN YOU LEAVE!!! I MISS YOU NOW!

Tory C. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amanda Kay said...

Wish I would have read this before I came down from NYC so I could have asked you how your paper flower distribution went. My fault for slacking on reading your blog ... which I love reading! Matthew, I don't know how many have read this blog, but it seems that your words have positively affected many others which is AWESOME! KEEP IT UP MY FRIEND. :)

- Amanda Kay