Saturday, February 28, 2009

King of Beasts / Exodus Into The Unknown

Two recent poems. One by request, for Amanda Kay, and the other just written- a prayer.

First, the requested.
Inspired by The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian the movie.
20090125 (15:09)

So sad, our King of Beasts
We so proud
So sad, our King of Beasts
Waiting, for to answer a humble request
And we've nurtured our vanity
Every craving desire vindicated
The hopes of the King have fallen
And we stand proud
Squabbleing over the scraps
Gathering to ourselves all the nothing we can
Our feeble hopes wishing for stable ground on which to stand
So sad, our King of Beasts
And we so proud
So sad, our Lord of Grace

And we all still believe
We're all standing on our own two feet
We all conceive
And we're all standing on our own two feet
So sad, our King of Beasts
Mourning our great downfall
Proud and blind and deaf
We will all be carried to our graves
Under the weight of standing on our own


And the poem I just wrote. I was reading John Bevere's Drawing Near and it offered an example from Exodus 20:18-21. So I pulled out my Bible and read, and here is what I wrote.
20090228 (08:33)

We stand, witness to the storm
Lightning flash to show a glimpse
The thunder crashed
Deafening as the winds tore down the streets
The great mountain engulfed in smoke

"Be not afraid!
The storm is mighty that we might fear
And stray not from the guided path."

Cower, we the fools
Cower in terror
Having no faith
Terror without fear
At a distance we witness the storm

Draw me near to the darkness that contains you
Draw me near
That I may fear
And be not afraid
Draw me near with a mirror
For your beauty is beyond compare.


And now I have to go get ready to leave for Tallahassee. An hour drive... Two hours time... And ZERO return travel.
We have to be prepared.

3 comments:

Amanda Kay said...

Hoorah! You posted the poem. I really love your second one. It is beautiful! My favorite part is "Draw me near to the darkness that contains you/Draw me near/That I may fear/And be not afraid." :) Thank you for putting such eloquence online for myself and others! - Amanda Kay

Messenger International said...

Wow, that is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. May the unique gifting of God in your life increase on every level.

We'd love for you to check out John & Lisa Bevere's blogs...

www.MessengerInternational.blogspot.com - sharing life-transforming truth
www.PearlAlliance.blogspot.com - fighting human trafficking

Blessings to you and yours!!

Beth said...

Hey Matt
Great poems. The line Amanda mentioned was amazing. I also liked the end of the first poem "We will all be carried to our graves Under the weight of standing on our own." Thanks just for being your incredible poetic self!
Is that John Bevere? How did he know about your blog? That is way cool!
I like your photos in the image diary too. A lot of those guys look familiar! : ])