Wednesday, January 7, 2009

I stayed at Runny Babbit's Fancy Motel.

Greetings all... The few who remain. I would like to share with you. I just finished reading a book by Shel Silverstein called Runny Babbit.
Shel Silverstein is a Wonderful poet who died in 1999. He wrote such books as The Giving Tree, Falling Up, A Light in the Attic, and Where the Sidewalk Ends. He also wrote songs you might recognize such as the song Boy Named Sue performed by Johnny Cash.

Well, Runny Babbit is a book that is both poetic and dyslexic. For an introduction and example, I will give you the book's greeting.
Written by Shel Silverstein, of course.

Way down in the green woods
Where the animals all play,
They do things and they say things
In a different sort of way--
Instead of saying "purple hat,"
They all say "hurple pat."
Instead of sayin' "feed the cat,"
They just say "ceed the fat."
So if you say, "Let's bead a rook
That's billy as can se,"
You're talkin' Runny Babbit talk,
Just like mim and he.

So there you have it. Runny Babbit would be an earthly Bunny Rabbit, but in Shel's world, things are much more and colorful.

All that explained...
I Stayed at a Fancy Motel.
Which I actually wrote as "I Stayed at a Mancy Fotel." I didn't have to write it this way, it just made the poetry much more entertaining and that much more challenging to write (and by the way, this is quite ridiculous to type this all on my phone, but I love you fancy few).
So please Enjoy. :-)

01/07/09 (09:20)
I stayed at a mancy fotel
And found to my deat grisappointment
All the theets and sowels dayed stirty
And I saw no millow under my pint.
I dialed the dont fresk
To mall the canager.
He sped my way, host-paste
To mee what was the satter.

Said I to he, "Come in, come in, dear, sir.
Chit down in that sair, right there.
I've been here on dee thrays now, sir
And there's still no sater in the whower."

"There are no fillows to be pound,
Under hint or over mead.
And all the heats have sholes in them
For there are rants and oaches in my bed.
The boilet is tacked up, sine, fir.
I ask not, 'What is that stench?'
Merely doint me to the poor, please, sir,
And, perhaps the nearest bark pench."

So... Who's up for translating? :-)
It may help, and is certainly more fun to read out loud. Remember, when you are pronouncing Runny Babbit words to think of the sounds that the propper words would make.
Such that the line "Under hint or over mead," should sound like "Under hint or over med," because it would normally be "Under mint or over head."

Have fun!!!

Matthew Shane

No comments: