Tuesday, February 20, 2007

"Thank You For The Offer"

Blog from MySpace.

Category: Writing and Poetry

I was recently reading a little in John Bevere's book Drawing Near.
The chapter was called "Protect Your Hunger" and started off with the simple one-liner, "We are hungry for what we feed on."

John begins the chapter using Thanksgiving dinner as an example. He give us the verse Proverbs 27:7 "The satisfied soul loathes the honeycomb."
The Thanksgiving example was basically saying someone is invited to two thanksgiving parties. They go to the first and eat until they're full, and when they go to the second, the food looks and smells even better than at the first party, but they can't eat any because they are already full.
This compares to what we do with God.
God invites us to his table, and on the way there, we are invited to hang out with some friends and watch a movie. We go out for lunch. We do whatever, and by the time we get to God's table, we're not hungry, and we're too tired to hang out with him long because we filled ourselves up with the things of this world.

That briefly explained... this poem won't seem so brutal. (I hope)
But it should still be a slap in the face!!!!

Thank You For The Offer
Thank you for the offer
But I'm afraid I've had my fill
I've ingested every TV ad
And little purple pill
Before I came to your party
I stopped by the one across the hill
We drank champagne
And knew "true love"
Feasting on every passing thrill

Thank you for the offer
This meal looks better than most
But I took a vow of fasting
And I sealed it with this toast
When I partake of pleasures
They fill me up inside
When I know I've reached my limit
I will stop myself with pride

Thank you for the offer
But I'm afraid I've met my match
I really want what you can give me
But I must close the hatch
I ate everything in sight
From sex to laziness
I see now I gorged myself
I should've left room for the best

Oh! Can I ever change!?
Can I be the same?
I want you and who I once was
But I need all the drugs
They fill the hole inside me
The void I can't drown out
I'm sorry I can't accept your peace
I'm afraid I'm all filled up

I started the day with caffeine
Followed by my lucky charms
I primped and preened 'til I was clean
Then I painted my smile on
I left the house on an upbeat
They were playing my favorite song
You know
The one where the guy leaves his wife
In search of a better life
Kids at the door wonder why
But he's gonna find the love of his life
I found three quarters on the floor mat
As I hopped into my car
All heads up
That means "Good Luck"
This day's going far!
As I got out I kissed a man
Begging on the street
"Money's short and times are hard
I know just what you need"
Handed him a business card
"I've nothing else to offer, God bless!"
(Just as his sign said)

Work all day
I need a break
More coffee and some nicotine
She stopped by and winked at me
(The boss'll never know I stole his dream)
We made out quick
Meeting by the fountain
Lock the door
This'll only take a second
No one ever knew what happened

The man by my car
Was sobbing on the floor
I said "Don't cry, it'll be all right
God bless, remember?"
I shook his hand
Then drove away
Left him in December

I stopped for a drink
(And a dance or two)
I needed a little lift
"'Tender, this day's been long
Give me something with a kick"
It hit the spot
The twitching stopped
Breathe deep to let the smoke in
Oh her curves
"So beautiful"
I love you (but just the skin)

By the time I got home
My show was on
I had no time for my wife
This is MY life, God
Get off my back!
There's just too much on my plate
(But thanks for the offer)
2/12/07 (01:06)

Currently listening :
I Predict 1990
By Steve Taylor
Release date: By 01 January, 1987
0 Comments - 0 Kudos

No comments: