Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Love Amongst the Dragons

Well, since the reddit post on this topic is archived and I can't comment on it, I'll just write about it here. Nobody reads this blog anyway, so it's just a note for myself.




The kids have been watching Avatar The Last Airbender (ATLA) for the first time and are almost finished with the whole series. Today we watched the episode The Ember Island Players, in which Zuko complains "Ugh! My mother used to take us to see them! They butchered Love Amongst The Dragons every year!"  What is the importance of this play being mentioned in ATLA? Well, I don't think it was very important at all when the episode originally aired in 2008 except perhaps as a reference to Zuko's mother and childhood, but in 2017 one of the executive producers of ATLA began working on another show called The Dragon Prince (TDP). I started rewatching TDP last night, and in the first episode, Claudia is walking through the courtyard reading a book entitled "Love Amongst the Dragons."



I don't think I would have noticed this reference without having accidentally watched the two episodes within 24 hours of each other. Good catch to anyone who got this on memory alone!

No comments: