Friday, August 7, 2020

her

I recently saw an article pushing a must-watch movie before it came off Netflix.
The movie was "her" and I sat down at 0100 in the morning to watch it on July 29, because it was coming down off of Netflix sometime that day, and I didn't want to miss it.

I was blown away and wondered how I had missed seeing the movie, as it released in 2013, but life's been busy.


I've been thinking I wanted to write a review, and perhaps I could sit down and start blogging again, using my blog to review movies I'm watching, or books I'm reading. Deep down I long to start writing again. We'll see.

I recently decided I want to read through all of The Chronicles of Narnia series, because I've never read them all before. I just finished The Magician's Nephew and started The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe today. I'm fascinated by the writing and how much detail exists in such short books. Modern books seem so long and weighed down with useless words, but C.S. Lewis was a true artists. He knew how to describe just enough to ignite a spark in the reader's mind, and the imagination takes care of the rest.
I imagine authors before the 80s or 90s probably had to write by hand, or typewriter. I imagine changing anything in their writings had a cost. Scribbled notes in random places, rewriting a whole page. They had to be selective and intentional with their words, but today words are cheap, and we can change them with a simple "delete" key. There is no cost, and authors (myself included) ramble on, 
"All the clever words on pages turn to fragments;
Circles, points and lines, and cover them like carpets, with graceful,
Meaningless ornamental designs," (mewithoutYou quote from the song Seven Sisters).

Today we are too busy to spend too much time on any one thing. So unfocused and distracted.
I guess I still hold to the belief that I was born in the wrong time. Or perhaps I've just been misusing my time.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a line, even if it's only to myself. Perhaps I'll be back soon.

In coming back to Blogger, I just noticed a comment I had never seen on a post from two years ago. I feel so detached. I really need to reconnect with people.

I send my love. Even if you may not know it for a while, or ever. I still send my love in all the spaces between now and then.

No comments: